Saturday 26 October 2013

Northbrook College Review

On Wednesday afternoon we had the opportunity to look at BA courses that also take place at the college, the event started with a brief summary talk on what the college has to offer after our Foundation course. Below are some of the key points made in the talk,

Why go on to Higher Education:
  • Personal Factors - new ways of thinking and seeing, opportunities, social elements
  • Career Factors - employment, earnings, qualifications
  • Knowledge
  • Skills
  • Better employment rate
  • Higher pay
  • Professional subject knowledge
Why choose Northbrook:
  • High contact hours
  • High student satisfaction
  • High achievement
  • High value
  • Progression to employment
After the talk I went to look at the Costume Design, Photographic Arts, Fashion Media and Promotion and the Fashion Design courses. I was slightly pushed for time so didn't get to look around as much as I might have liked too, however we got a long guided tour of the costume design course and classroom. For the other courses, I have spent time looking at the appropriate leaflets and booklets to get ideas about which may interest me. I really liked the look of the fashion media and promotion course because it incorporates so many different subjects, such as fashion, graphics, and business work. The fashion design course also looked good, but I'm still unsure if I want to go specifically into fashion, I have the same issue with photography as I'm not sure where the degree will take me. Costume design was really interesting, and the classroom had a lovely vibe, talking to the teachers, who were very friendly, made it sound as though the workshop is always an open place for students, and quite relaxed. My only issue with costume is how much time they spend on period costumes,  I am interested in making these types of garments but not for a large amount of time as this course suggests. I will be considering Northbrook in my applications, however I had hoped to move away from Worthing for University as I have lived here all my life, the idea of moving away to gain independance is in someways more appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment