Friday 18 October 2013

Expanding Contextual Horizons

Task for Tuesday 15th
A proposal to expand your contextual horizon: Research 5 activities to engage with/attend by 1st January 2014. Try to be adventurous in your selection and move beyond the expected. Suggest how each could inform the development of your practice.
Remember eg it is really important that you do not simply go ONLY to ‘photography exhibitions’ if you are a photographer.
One of the activities needs to be local ie Sussex based. One of the activities needs to be a group activity discussed and agreed with your peers.

Ideas for 5 activities:
In our group we have agreed to go to the Thomas A Becket firework display, we will use this opportunity to work on night photography techniques and may use it to influence our artwork after the event.


For my sussex based activity I have chosen to attend the National Open Art Exhibition at the Minerva Theatre in Chichester. The National Open Art Exhibition is a registered charity that aims to provide a fair and open platform for artists to exhibit, sell and promote their work annually at one of the venues across the UK. In attending this exhibition I hope to see and experience new and exciting artistic work forms, which may inspire or influence my own work.


The idea of seeing Matthew Bourne's performance of Swan Lake is to look at the costume and set design aspects. Matthew Bournes productions never fail to astound me, the choreography is breathtaking and Lez Brotherston's design work on the production is unbelievable.

Also the first weekend in December one of my admired bands 'Peace' are playing at the O2 Shepherds bush empire, where I'd seen 'Alt J' almost a year previously. The Alt J gig was inspiring in so many ways, with the scene and atmosphere dream like, I hope to have a similar experience at the Peace gig. My aim is to capture the event and atmosphere in photographs to then use in my work, encapsulating the essence of the night to reach out to all the senses.

On Thursday the 5th of December I will be travelling up to London to complete a day of work experience at the V&A on Friday 6th. Showing me the ropes and giving me tasks will be Alex Flowers, a family friend. Alex contributes to setting up many of the exhibitions, and works prodomininantly on the digital media and displays within the exhibition and visual learning. From this experience I hope to gain knowledge on how large museums organise exhibitions, and how the digital media may be created, and the impact on modern technologies to the exhibitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment